One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Uniform requirements for manuscripts submitted to biomedical journals: ethical considerations in the conduct and reporting of research: peer review.Accessed December 29, 2009)
- Who reviews the reviewers?.Ann Emerg Med. 1998; 32: 310-317
- What errors do peer reviewers detect, and does training improve their ability to detect them?.J R Soc Med. 2008; 101: 507-514
- The evaluation and training of peer reviewers.in: Godlee F. Jefferson T. Peer Review in Health Sciences: Second Edition. 2nd ed. BMJ Books, London, England2003: 164-182
- Effect of attendance at a training session on peer reviewer quality and performance.Ann Emerg Med. 1998; 32: 318-322
- Effect of structured workshop training on subsequent performance of journal peer reviewers.Ann Emerg Med. 2002; 40: 323-328
- Effect of written feedback by editors on quality of reviews: two randomized trials.JAMA. 2002; 287: 2781-2783
- Journal citation reports 2008: ISI Web of Knowledge, Thomson Reuters; 2008.Accessed February 10, 2010)
- Reliability of editors' subjective quality ratings of peer reviews of manuscripts.JAMA. 1998; 280: 229-231
- Development of the review quality instrument (RQI) for assessing peer reviews of manuscripts.J Clin Epidemiol. 1999; 52: 625-629
- Quality assessment of reviewers' reports using a simple instrument.Obstet Gynecol. 2006; 108: 979-985
- Peer review of grant applications: what do we know?.Lancet. 1998; 352: 301-305
Green SM, Callaham M. Implementation of a journal peer reviewer stratification system based on quality and reliability. Ann Emerg Med. In press.
- Applied Longitudinal Analysis.Wiley-Interscience, Hoboken, NJ2004
- Tutorial in biostatistics.Stat Med. 1999; 18: 855-888
- Qualitative profile of journal peer reviewers and predictors of peer reviewer quality.Accessed February 10, 2010)
- Effects of training on quality of peer review: randomised controlled trial.BMJ. 2004; 328: 673-678
- Multiple blinded reviews of the same two manuscripts.JAMA. 1994; 272: 149-151
- Editorial peer review: its development and rationale.in: Godlee F. Jefferson T. Peer Review in Health Sciences. 2nd ed. BMJ Books, London, England2004: 1-13
- Are intelligence tests measurement invariant over time?.Intelligence. 2004; 32: 509-537
- The relationship of previous training and experience of journal peer reviewers to subsequent review quality.Plos Med. 2007; 4 (Accessed February 10, 2010)
- Reviewer status and review quality.N Engl J Med. 1985; 312: 658-659
- What makes a good reviewer and a good review for a general medical journal?.JAMA. 1998; 280: 231-233
- The characteristics of peer reviewers who produce good-quality reviews.J Gen Intern Med. 1993; 8: 422-428
- Reviewing the reviewers: comparison of review quality and reviewer characteristics at the American Journal of Roentgenology.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2005; 184: 1731-1735
- Systematic review: the relationship between clinical experience and quality of health care.Ann Intern Med. 2005; 142: 260-273
- Deliberate practice and the acquisition and maintenance of expert performance in medicine and related domains.Acad Med. 2004; 79: S70-S81
- An expert-performance perspective of research on medical expertise: the study of clinical performance.Med Educ. 2007; 41: 1124-1130
- The aging physician: changes in cognitive processing and their impact on medical practice.Acad Med. 2002; 77: S1-S6
- Certification and specialization: do they matter in the outcome of acute myocardial infarction?.Acad Med. 2000; 75: 1193-1198
- Aging and expertise.in: Ericsson K. Charness N. Feltovich P. The Cambridge Handbook of Expertise and Expert Performance. Cambridge University Press, New York, NY2006: 723-742
- Expert and exceptional performance: evidence of maximal adaptation to task constraints.Ann Rev Psychol. 1996; 47: 273-305
- Why productivity fades with age: the crime-genius connection.J Res Pers. 2003; 37: 257-272
- Research productivity over the life cycle: evidence for academic scientists.Am Econ Rev. 1991; 81: 114-132
- Age and the Nobel Prize revisited.Scientometrics. 1993; 28: 387-399
- The difficulty with experience: does practice increase susceptibility to premature closure?.J Contin Educ Health Prof. 2006; 26: 192-198
- A normative model of peer review: qualitative assessment of manuscript reviewers' attitudes towards peer review.Accessed February 10, 2010)
- Going beyond the problem as given: problem solving in expert and novice writers.in: Sternberg R.J. Frensch P.A. Complex Problem Solving: Principles and Mechanism. Lawrence Erlbaum, Hillsdale, NJ1991: 61-84
- Content and communication: how can peer review provide helpful feedback about the writing?.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2008; 8 (Accessed February 10, 2010): 3https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2288-8-3
- Unskilled and unaware of it: how difficulties in recognizing one's own incompetence lead to inflated self-assessments.J Pers Soc Psychol. 1999; 77: 1-14
- How can I know what I don't know?.Adv Health Sci Educ. 2004; 9: 211-224
Please see page 142 for the Editor's Capsule Summary of this article.
Supervising editor: Steven M. Green, MD
Dr. Green was the supervising editor on this article. Dr. Callaham recused himself from the entire editorial review and decisionmaking process for this article.
Author contributions: MC and CM interpreted the results. MC conceived and designed the study, collected the data, and wrote all drafts of the article. CM designed and performed the analysis and reviewed the article. MC takes responsibility for the paper as a whole.
Funding and support: By Annals policy, all authors are required to disclose any and all commercial, financial, and other relationships in any way related to the subject of this article that might create any potential conflict of interest. The authors have stated that no such relationships exist. See the Manuscript Submission Agreement in this issue for examples of specific conflicts covered by this statement.
Publication date: Available online November 12, 2010.
Reprints not available from the authors.