- Pulmonary embolism as a cause of death in patients with heart disease: an autopsy study.Chest. 2006; 129: 1282-1287
- Increased diagnosis of pulmonary embolism without a corresponding decline in mortality during the CT era.Clin Radiol. 2008; 63: 381-386
- Guidelines on the diagnosis and management of acute pulmonary embolism: the Task Force for the Diagnosis and Management of Acute Pulmonary Embolism of the European Society of Cardiology.Eur Heart J. 2008; 29: 2276-2315
- Short-term clinical outcome of patients with acute pulmonary embolism, normal blood pressure, and echocardiographic right ventricular dysfunction.Circulation. 2000; 101: 2817-2822
- Prognostic value of troponins in acute pulmonary embolism: a meta-analysis.Circulation. 2007; 116: 427-433
- Cardiac biomarkers for risk stratification of patients with acute pulmonary embolism.Circulation. 2003; 108: 2191-2194
- Comparison of 8 biomarkers for prediction of right ventricular hypokinesis 6 months after submassive pulmonary embolism.Am Heart J. 2008; 156: 308-314
- N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide or troponin testing followed by echocardiography for risk stratification of acute pulmonary embolism.Circulation. 2005; 112: 1573-1579
- A prospective, multicenter derivation of a biomarker panel to assess risk of organ dysfunction, shock, and death in emergency department patients with suspected sepsis.Crit Care Med. 2009; 37: 96-104
- High plasma lactate levels are associated with increased risk of in-hospital mortality in patients with pulmonary embolism.Acad Emerg Med. 2011; 18: 830-835
- Prognostic value of ECG among patients with acute pulmonary embolism and normal blood pressure.Am J Med. 2009; 122: 257-264
- Association of persistent right ventricular dysfunction at hospital discharge after acute pulmonary embolism with recurrent thromboembolic events.Arch Intern Med. 2006; 166: 2151-2156
- Sixth ACCP Consensus Conference on antithrombotic therapy.Chest. 2001; 119: 176S-193S
- Comparison of lactate values between point-of-care and central laboratory analyzers.Am J Clin Pathol. 2007; 128: 168-171
- StAR: a simple tool for the statistical comparison of ROC curves.BMC Bioinformatics. 2008; 9: 265
- Simplification of the Pulmonary Embolism Severity Index for prognostication in patients with acute symptomatic pulmonary embolism.Arch Intern Med. 2010; 170: 1383-1389
- Cardiac troponin testing and the simplified Pulmonary Embolism Severity Index.Thromb Haemost. 2011; 106: 978-984
- Outcome in stable patients with acute pulmonary embolism who had right ventricular enlargement and/or elevated levels of troponin I.Am J Cardiol. 2010; 106: 558-563
- Early goal-directed therapy in the treatment of severe sepsis and septic shock.N Engl J Med. 2001; 345: 1368-1377
- The utility of venous lactate to triage injured patients in the trauma center.J Am Coll Surg. 2000; 190: 656-664
- Lactic acidosis.Cancer. 1992; 69: 453-456
- Central venous oxygen saturation: a useful clinical tool in trauma patients.J Trauma. 1990; 30: 1539-1543
- Thrombolysis compared with heparin for the initial treatment of pulmonary embolism: a meta-analysis of the randomized controlled trials.Circulation. 2004; 110: 744-749
- Heparin plus alteplase compared with heparin alone in patients with submassive pulmonary embolism.N Engl J Med. 2002; 347: 1143-1150
- Single-bolus tenecteplase plus heparin compared with heparin alone for normotensive patients with acute pulmonary embolism who have evidence of right ventricular dysfunction and myocardial injury: Rationale and design of the Pulmonary Embolism Thrombolysis (PEITHO) trial.Am Heart J. 2012; 163: 33-38
- Predictive value of the high-sensitivity troponin T assay and the simplified Pulmonary Embolism Severity Index in hemodynamically stable patients with acute pulmonary embolism: a prospective validation study.Circulation. 2011; 124: 2716-2724
Author contributions: SV, GV, M. Baioni, and FS conceived the study and supervised the conduct of the trial and the data collection. SV, GP, and PN provided statistical advice on study design and analyzed the data. M. Bartolucci and M. Bartolini revised computed tomography and final diagnosis of pulmonary embolism. SV and PN drafted the article, and all authors contributed substantially to its revision. SV takes responsibility for the paper as a whole.
Funding and support: By Annals policy, all authors are required to disclose any and all commercial, financial, and other relationships in any way related to the subject of this article as per ICMJE conflict of interest guidelines (see www.icmje.org). The authors have stated that no such relationships exist.
Supervising editor: Donald M. Yealy, MD
Please see page 331 for the Editor's Capsule Summary of this article.
Publication date: Available online January 7, 2013.