- Pediatric Emergency Care: Growing Pains.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2006
- Emergency medical services and the pediatric patient: are the needs being met?.Pediatrics. 1984; 73: 769-772
National EMS for Children Data Analysis Resource Center: What are the EMSC performance measures? Available at: http://www.nedarc.org/performanceMeasures. Accessed June 3, 2014.
- A statewide model program to improve emergency department readiness for pediatric care.Ann Emerg Med. 2009; 54: 198-204
- Emergency departments and pediatric categorization, approval, and recognition: a review of two states.J Emerg Nurs. 2008; 34: 236-237
Hospital Programs/Specialty Centers. Los Angeles County Health Services. Available at: http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/SpCentersHospitalPrograms/EDAPs.htm. Accessed June 3, 2014.
EDAP Standards. Los Angeles County Health Services. Available at: http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/SpCentersHospitalPrograms/EDAPs/EDAPStandards.pdf. Accessed June 3, 2014.
- Care of children in the emergency department: guidelines for preparedness.Pediatrics. 2001; 107: 777-781
- Care of children in the emergency department: guidelines for preparedness.Ann Emerg Med. 2001; 37: 423-427
- Availability of pediatric services and equipment in emergency departments: United States, 2002-03.Adv Data. 2006; 367: 1-16
- Pediatric preparedness of US emergency departments: a 2003 survey.Pediatrics. 2007; 120: 1229-1237
- Availability of pediatric services and equipment in emergency departments: United States, 2006.Natl Health Stat Rep. 2012; 47: 1-21
- Ability of hospitals to care for pediatric emergency patients.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2001; 17: 170-174
- National survey of pediatric services available in US emergency departments.Int J Emerg Med. 2012; 6: 13-19
- Joint policy statement—guidelines for care of children in the emergency department.Ann Emerg Med. 2009; 54: 543-552
- Joint policy statement—guidelines for care of children in the emergency department.Pediatrics. 2009; 124: 1233-1243
Gausche-Hill M, Ely M, Schmuhl P, et al. National assessment of pediatric readiness of emergency departments. JAMA Pediatr. epub ahead of print, 2015, Apr 15.
- Internet, Mail and Mixed-Mode Surveys: The Tailored Design Method.3rd ed. John Wiley Co, Hoboken, NJ2009
PEMSoft, EBSCO Health. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/biomedical-libraries/pemsoft. Accessed June 3, 2014.
Armstrong Medical Industries, Inc. Broselow pediatric emergency tape. Available at: https://www.armstrongmedical.com/index.cfm/go/product.detail/sec/3/ssec/14/fam/2371. Accessed June 3, 2014.
EMS Authority, California Health and Human Services Agency. Administration, personnel, and policy for the care of pediatric patients in the emergency department. EMSA#182, 1994. Available at: http://www.emsa.ca.gov/Media/Default/PDF/emsa182_2014.pdf. Accessed June 19, 2015.
- Emergency department recognition program for pediatric services: does it make a difference?.Pediatr Emerg Care. 2014; 30: 1-5
Jones M, Maskay R. Delaware pediatric emergency care facility recognition program. Available at: http://www.dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dph/ems/emscrecognition.html. Accessed September 6, 2014.
Los Angeles County EMS Agency. EMS system report, July 1, 2013. Available at: http://emsaac.org/images/stories/2013_LAC_EMS_Annual_Data_Report.pdf. Accessed June 3, 2014.
- A national effort requiring local solutions: regionalization of pediatric emergency care.Clin Pediatr Emerg Med. 2014; 15: 79-88
- A tale of two populations: addressing pediatric needs in the continuum of emergency care.Ann Emerg Med. 2015; 65: 673-678
- Pediatric Emergency Care Applied Research Network. Emergency department quality: an analysis of existing pediatric measures.Acad Emerg Med. 2011; 18: 519-526
- Measuring quality in pediatric emergency care.Clin Pediatr Emerg Med. 2011; 12: 102-112
- Outcomes of adult trauma patients admitted to trauma centers in Pennsylvania, 2000-2009.Arch Surg. 2012; 147: 732-737
- Impact of trauma center designation on outcomes: is there a difference between Level I and Level II trauma centers?.J Am Coll Surg. 2012; 215: 372-378
- Trauma center designation correlates with functional independence after severe but not moderate traumatic brain injury.J Trauma. 2010; 69: 263-269
- Level and volume of neonatal intensive care and mortality in very-low-birth-weight infants.N Engl J Med. 2007; 356: 2165-2175
Please see page 321 for the Editor’s Capsule Summary of this article.
Supervising editors: Lise E. Nigrovic, MD, MPH; Steven M. Green, MD
Author contributions: KR, LO, ME, EE, and MG-H conceived the study, designed the assessment, and obtained funding. KR, NM, and MG-H recruited participants and designed outreach campaign. LO, ME, and PS supervised the assessment deployment and data collection. AHK conducted statistical analysis and interpretation. KR and AHK drafted the article, and all other authors contributed substantially to its revision. KR takes responsibility for the paper as a whole.
Funding and support: By Annals policy, all authors are required to disclose any and all commercial, financial, and other relationships in any way related to the subject of this article as per ICMJE conflict of interest guidelines (see www.icmje.org). The authors have stated that no such relationships exist and provided the following details: This study was supported in part by California Emergency Medical Services Authority state partnership grant 1084-1 A1 . This project was also partially supported by the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) of the US Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) under grant U03MC00008 , Emergency Medical Service for Children Network Development (20% financed with nongovernmental sources).
This information or content and conclusions are those of the authors and should not be construed as the official position or policy of, nor should any endorsements be inferred by, HRSA, HHS, or the US government.