One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Optimizing emergency department front-end operations.Ann Emerg Med. 2010; 55: 142-160
- Impact of nurse-initiated ED sepsis protocol on compliance with sepsis bundles, time to initial antibiotic administration, and in-hospital mortality.J Emerg Nurs. 2015; 41: 130-137
- Triage nurse initiation of corticosteroids in pediatric asthma is associated with improved emergency department efficiency.Pediatrics. 2012; 129: 671-680
- Impact of an emergency nurse-initiated asthma management protocol on door-to-first-salbutamol-nebulization-time in a pediatric emergency department.J Emerg Nurs. 2010; 36: 428-433
- A comparison of analgesic management for emergency department patients with sickle cell disease and renal colic.Clin J Pain. 2010; 26: 199-205
- Effect of an automated chest radiograph at triage protocol on time to antibiotics in patients admitted with pneumonia.Am J Emerg Med. 2008; 26: 264-269
- Nurse initiated thrombolysis in the accident and emergency department: safe, accurate, and faster than fast track.Emerg Med J. 2003; 20: 418-420
- Advanced nursing directives: integrating validated clinical scoring systems into nursing care in the pediatric emergency department.Nurs Res Pract. 2012; : 596393
- Outcomes of a nurse-initiated intravenous analgesic protocol for abdominal pain in an emergency department: a quasi-experimental study.Int J Nurs Stud. 2011; 48: 13-23
- Advanced nursing interventions and length of stay in the emergency department.J Emerg Nurs. 2013; 39: 221-225
- Accuracy and efficiency of X-ray requests initiated by triage nurses in an accident and emergency department.Accid Emerg Nurs. 1996; 4: 179-181
- Requesting wrist radiographs in emergency department triage: developing a training program and diagnostic algorithm.Adv Emerg Nurs J. 2014; 36: 62-77
- Effect of nurse initiated X-rays of the lower limb on patient transit time through the emergency department.Australas Emerg Nurs J. 2012; 15: 229-234
- Triage nurse X-ray protocols for hand and wrist injuries.Emerg Nurse J. 2010; 17: 20-24
- Implementation of an ED protocol for pain management at triage at a busy Level I trauma center.J Emerg Nurs. 2004; 30: 431-438
- A nurse-initiated pain management advanced triage protocol for ED patients with an extremity injury at a level I trauma center.J Emerg Nurs. 2004; 30: 330-335
- A prospective study of nurse initiated panadeine forte: expanding pain management in the ED.Accid Emerg Nurs. 2004; 12: 136-140
- Nurse-initiated intravenous morphine in the emergency department: efficacy, rate of adverse events and impact on time to analgesia.Emerg Med (Fremantle). 2002; 14: 249-254
- Nurse-initiated, titrated intravenous opioid analgesia reduces time to analgesia for selected painful conditions.CJEM. 2005; 7: 149-154
- Reducing time to analgesia in the emergency department using a nurse-initiated pain protocol: a before-and-after study.Contemp Nurse. 2012; 43: 29-37
- The effect of triage diagnostic standing orders on emergency department treatment time.Ann Emerg Med. 2011; 57: 89-99.e2
- Registered nurse scope of practice and ED complaint-specific protocols.J Emerg Nurs. 2013; 39: 467-473.e3
- Managing patient flow with triage streaming to identify patients for Dutch emergency nurse practitioners.Int Emerg Nurs. 2012; 20: 52-57
- Impact of a triage liaison physician on emergency department overcrowding and throughput: a randomized controlled trial.Acad Emerg Med. 2007; 14: 702-708
- Triage nurse prediction of hospital admission.J Emerg Nurs. 2012; 38: 306-310
- SQUIRE 2.0 (Standards for Quality Improvement Reporting Excellence): revised publication guidelines from a detailed consensus process.Am J Med Qual. 2015; 30: 543-549
- Improving the reporting of pragmatic trials: an extension of the CONSORT statement.BMJ. 2008; 337 (a2390-a2390)
Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research; Alberta Research Ethics Community Consensus Initiative. ARECCI ethics decision-support tools for projects. Alberta Heritage Foundation for Medical Research, 2008. Available online: http://www.aihealthsolutions.ca/arecci/screening/128552/df80aa1272117c5e19d3b076cf9225c1. Accessed July 20, 2016.
- Statistical inference for a linear function of medians: confidence intervals, hypothesis testing, and sample size requirements.Psychol Methods. 2002; 7: 370-383
- 1999 Update: ACC/AHA guidelines for the management of patients with acute myocardial infarction: executive summary and recommendations: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines (Committee on Management of Acute Myocardial Infarction).Circulation. 1999; 100: 1016-1030
Please see page 547 for the Editor’s Capsule Summary of this article.
Supervising editor: Robert L. Wears, MD, PhD
Author contributions: MJD and CAD conceived and designed the evaluation, supervised the conduct of the evaluation and data collection and undertook recruitment of participants. MJD, DOD and KES managed the data, provided statistical advice and analyzed the data. All authors drafted the manuscript and contributed substantially to its revision. MJD takes responsibility for the paper as a whole.
Funding and support: By Annals policy, all authors are required to disclose any and all commercial, financial, and other relationships in any way related to the subject of this article as per ICMJE conflict of interest guidelines (see www.icmje.org). The authors have stated that no such relationships exist.