Neubert D. Using double sequential defibrillation to help cardiac arrest patients. Available at: http://www.jems.com/articles/print/volume-41/issue-5/departments-columns/case-of-the-month/using-double-sequential-defibrillation-to-help-cardiac-arrest-patients.html. Accessed February 7, 2017.
City of New Orleans. Region one protocol effort. Available at: http://www.nola.gov/ems/documents/rope-2016-final-v-8-2016-sec/. Accessed February 7, 2017.
- Double sequential external defibrillation in out-of-hospital refractory ventricular fibrillation: a report of ten cases.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2015; 19: 126-130
- Simultaneous use of two defibrillators for the conversion of refractory ventricular fibrillation.J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2015; 29: 421-424
- Use of double sequential external defibrillation for refractory ventricular fibrillation during out-of-hospital cardiac arrest.Resuscitation. 2016; 108: 82-86
- Simultaneous double external DC shock technique for refractory atrial fibrillation in concomitant heart disease.Jpn Heart J. 2004; 45: 929-936
- Higher energy synchronized external direct current cardioversion for refractory atrial fibrillation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1999; 34: 2031-2034
- Quadruple pads approach for external cardioversion of atrial fibrillation.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2001; 24: 1321-1324
- Dual sequential defibrillation: does one plus one equal two?.Resuscitation. 2016; 108: A1-A2
- Dual defibrillation in out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: a retrospective cohort analysis.Resuscitation. 2016; 106: 14-17
- A case series of double sequence defibrillation.Prehosp Emerg Care. 2016; 20: 550-553
Rio Rancho. Rio Rancho Fire and Rescue EMS treatment guidelines—revised January 2017. Available at: http://www.ci.rio-rancho.nm.us/index.aspx?NID=681. Accessed May 1, 2017.
- Adverse effects of direct current cardioversion on cardiac pacemakers and electrodes: is external cardioversion contraindicated in patients with permanent pacing systems?.Europace. 2004; 6: 165-168
- Adverse acute and chronic effects of electrical defibrillation and cardioversion on implanted unipolar cardiac pacing systems.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1983; 1: 1413-1422
- Transthoracic DC shock may represent a serious hazard in pacemaker dependent patients.Pace. 1995; 18: 194-198
- Part 7: adult advanced cardiovascular life support: 2015 American Heart Association guidelines update for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care.Circulation. 2015; 132: S444-S464
- Part 1: executive summary: 2015 American Heart Association guidelines update for cardiopulmonary resuscitation and emergency cardiovascular care.Circulation. 2015; 132: S315-S367
- Patients with pacemaker or implantable cardioverter-defibrillator.Med Clin North Am. 2013; 97: 1051-1075
- An analysis of implantable cardiac device reliability. The case for improved postmarketing risk assessment and surveillance.Am J Ther. 2012; 19: 248-254
United States Food & Drug Administration. Medsun reports. Available at: http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/Medsun/searchreport.cfm. Accessed February 7, 2017.
Supervising editor: Keith A. Marill, MD, MS
Authorship: All authors attest to meeting the four ICMJE.org authorship criteria: (1) Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND (2) Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND (3) Final approval of the version to be published; AND (4) Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Funding and support: By Annals policy, all authors are required to disclose any and all commercial, financial, and other relationships in any way related to the subject of this article as per ICMJE conflict of interest guidelines (see www.icmje.org). The authors have stated that no such relationships exist.