One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Symptoms, functional status and quality of life in patients with controlled and uncontrolled atrial fibrillation: data from the RealiseAF cross-sectional international registry.Heart. 2012; 98: 195-201
- Quality of life and exercise performance in patients in sinus rhythm versus persistent atrial fibrillation: a Veterans Affairs Cooperative Studies Program substudy.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2006; 48: 721-730
- Impact of electrical cardioversion on quality of life for the treatment of atrial fibrillation.Can J Cardiol. 2017; 33: 450-455
- Comparison of outcomes of atrial fibrillation in patients with reduced versus preserved left ventricular ejection fraction.Am J Cardiol. 2016; 118: 1831-1835
- Effects of sinus rhythm maintenance on left heart function after electrical cardioversion of atrial fibrillation: implications for tachycardia-induced cardiomyopathy.Can J Cardiol. 2015; 31: 36-43
- Restoration of sinus rhythm results in early and late improvements in the functional reserve of the heart following direct current cardioversion of persistent AF: FRESH-AF.Int J Cardiol. 2015; 199: 121-125
- Effects of sinus rhythm restoration in patients with persistent atrial fibrillation: a clinical, echocardiographic and hormonal study.Int J Cardiol. 2004; 96: 171-176
- Electrical and pharmacologic cardioversion for atrial fibrillation.Cardiol Clin. 2009; 27 (ix): 95-107
- Emergency department management of atrial fibrillation and flutter and patient quality of life at one month postvisit.Ann Emerg Med. 2015; 66: 646-654.e2
- Outcomes for emergency department patients with recent-onset atrial fibrillation and flutter treated in Canadian hospitals.Ann Emerg Med. 2017; 69: 562-571.e2
- Impact of emergency department management of atrial fibrillation on hospital charges.West J Emerg Med. 2013; 14: 55-57
- Association of the Ottawa Aggressive Protocol with rapid discharge of emergency department patients with recent-onset atrial fibrillation or flutter.CJEM. 2010; 12: 181-191
- Managing emergency department patients with recent-onset atrial fibrillation.J Emerg Med. 2012; 42: 139-148
- 2014 AHA/ACC/HRS guideline for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society.Circulation. 2014; 130: e199-e267
- 2012 Focused update of the ESC guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation: an update of the 2010 ESC guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation. Developed with the special contribution of the European Heart Rhythm Association.Eur Heart J. 2012; 33: 2719-2747
- Guidelines for the management of atrial fibrillation: the Task Force for the Management of Atrial Fibrillation of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).Eur Heart J. 2010; 31: 2369-2429
- Canadian Cardiovascular Society atrial fibrillation guidelines 2010: management of recent-onset atrial fibrillation and flutter in the emergency department.Can J Cardiol. 2011; 27: 38-46
- Safety and efficacy of ibutilide in cardioversion of atrial flutter and fibrillation.J Am Board Fam Med. 2011; 24: 86-92
- Ibutilide.Circulation. 1998; 97: 493-497
- Efficacy and safety of repeated intravenous doses of ibutilide for rapid conversion of atrial flutter or fibrillation. Ibutilide Repeat Dose Study Investigators.Circulation. 1996; 94: 1613-1621
- Efficacy of ibutilide for termination of atrial fibrillation and flutter.Am J Cardiol. 1996; 78: 42-45
- Safety and risk/benefit analysis of ibutilide for acute conversion of atrial fibrillation/flutter.Am J Cardiol. 1996; 78: 46-52
- Female preponderance in ibutilide-induced torsade de pointes.Int J Cardiol. 2004; 95: 219-222
- Torsade de pointes: the clinical considerations.Int J Cardiol. 2004; 96: 1-6
- Efficacy of intravenous ibutilide for rapid termination of atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter: a dose-response study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1996; 28: 130-136
- Efficacy and safety of ibutilide for cardioversion of atrial flutter and fibrillation in patients receiving amiodarone or propafenone.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2005; 28: 954-961
- Facilitating transthoracic cardioversion of atrial fibrillation with ibutilide pretreatment.N Engl J Med. 1999; 340: 1849-1854
- Flecainide versus ibutilide for immediate cardioversion of atrial fibrillation of recent onset.Eur Heart J. 2004; 25: 1318-1324
- Conversion efficacy and safety of repeated doses of ibutilide in patients with atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation. Study Investigators.Am Heart J. 1998; 136: 632-642
- Termination of recent-onset atrial fibrillation/flutter in the emergency department: a sequential approach with intravenous ibutilide and external electrical cardioversion.Resuscitation. 2000; 45: 181-187
- Effect of high doses of magnesium on converting ibutilide to a safe and more effective agent.Am J Cardiol. 2010; 106: 673-676
- Pre-injection of magnesium sulfate enhances the efficacy of ibutilide for the conversion of typical but not of atypical persistent atrial flutter.Int J Cardiol. 2010; 141: 260-265
- Ibutilide: efficacy and safety in atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter in a general cardiology practice.Clin Cardiol. 2001; 24: 521-525
- Use of ibutilide for cardioversion of recent-onset atrial fibrillation and flutter in elderly.Am J Ther. 2004; 11: 95-97
- Ibutilide to expedite ED therapy for recent-onset atrial fibrillation flutter.Am J Emerg Med. 2006; 24: 407-412
- Ibutilide for treatment of atrial fibrillation in the emergency department.Emerg Med J. 2006; 23: 133-134
- Conversion efficacy and safety of intravenous ibutilide compared with intravenous procainamide in patients with atrial flutter or fibrillation.J Am Coll Cardiol. 1998; 31: 1414-1419
- Superiority of ibutilide (a new class III agent) over DL-sotalol in converting atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation. The Ibutilide/Sotalol Comparator Study Group.Heart. 1998; 79: 568-575
- Conversion efficacy of intravenous ibutilide compared with intravenous amiodarone in patients with recent-onset atrial fibrillation and atrial flutter.Int J Cardiol. 2007; 118: 321-325
- A 2-year survey of treatment of acute atrial fibrillation in an ED.Am J Emerg Med. 2011; 29: 534-540
- What accountable care organizations can learn from Kaiser Permanente California's acute care strategy.Popul Health Manag. 2015; 18: 233-236
Gordon NP. Similarity of the adult Kaiser Permanente membership in Northern California to the insured and general population in Northern California: statistics from the 2011 California Health Interview Survey. Available at: https://divisionofresearch.kaiserpermanente.org/projects/memberhealthsurvey/SiteCollectionDocuments/chis_non_kp_2011.pdf. Accessed August 25, 2017.
- Implementation of an outpatient electronic health record and emergency department visits, hospitalizations, and office visits among patients with diabetes.JAMA. 2013; 310: 1060-1065
- Kaiser Permanente Northern California: current experiences with internet, mobile, and video technologies.Health Aff (Millwood). 2014; 33: 251-257
- Effectiveness and safety of procainamide in the cardioversion of atrial fibrillation and flutter in the community ED setting: a Pharm CAFÉ study [abstract].Ann Emerg Med. 2016; 68: S40
- Implementation of computerized physician order entry is associated with increased thrombolytic administration for emergency department patients with acute ischemic stroke.Ann Emerg Med. 2015; 66: 601-610
- Time to cardioversion for acute atrial fibrillation and thromboembolic complications.JAMA. 2014; 312: 647-649
- A new risk scheme to predict ischemic stroke and other thromboembolism in atrial fibrillation: the ATRIA study stroke risk score.J Am Heart Assoc. 2013; 2: e000250
- Is pretreatment with ibutilide useful for atrial fibrillation cardioversion when combined with biphasic shock?.J Cardiovasc Med (Hagerstown). 2006; 7: 124-128
- Effects of intravenous magnesium sulfate on the QT interval in patients receiving ibutilide.Pharmacotherapy. 2003; 23: 296-300
- Efficacy of class III antiarrhythmics and magnesium combination therapy for atrial fibrillation.Pharm Pract (Granada). 2012; 10: 65-71
- Impact of prophylactic i.v. magnesium on the efficacy of ibutilide for conversion of atrial fibrillation or flutter.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2003; 60: 2308-2312
- Intravenous magnesium sulfate enhances the ability of intravenous ibutilide to successfully convert atrial fibrillation or flutter.Pacing Clin Electrophysiol. 2007; 30: 1331-1335
- Contemporary management of atrial flutter.Circulation. 2002; 106: 649-652
- Acute beta-adrenoceptor blockade improves efficacy of ibutilide in conversion of atrial fibrillation with a rapid ventricular rate.Europace. 2009; 11: 70-74
- Predictors of conversion to sinus rhythm using ibutilide for atrial fibrillation or flutter.Am J Cardiol. 2000; 85 (A9): 112-114
Please see page 97 for the Editor’s Capsule Summary of this article.
Supervising editor: Clare L. Atzema, MD, MSc
Author contributions: DRV conceived the study and its design. DRV, NL, AMR, and MDS performed the manual chart review. EMW undertook the programming. DRV, NL, and EMW analyzed the data, and all authors assisted with data interpretation. DRV drafted the article, and all authors contributed substantively to its critical revision and final approval. DRV takes responsibility for the paper as a whole.
All authors attest to meeting the four ICMJE.org authorship criteria: (1) Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND (2) Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND (3) Final approval of the version to be published; AND (4) Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Funding and support: By Annals policy, all authors are required to disclose any and all commercial, financial, and other relationships in any way related to the subject of this article as per ICMJE conflict of interest guidelines (see www.icmje.org). The authors have stated that no such relationships exist.
Readers: click on the link to go directly to a survey in which you can provide feedback to Annals on this particular article.