National Center for Health Statistics; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey: 2013 emergency department summary tables. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ahcd/nhamcs_emergency/2013_ed_web_tables.pdf. Accessed May 15, 2016.
- The management of community-acquired pneumonia in infants and children older than 3 months of age: clinical practice guidelines by the Pediatric Infectious Diseases Society and the Infectious Diseases Society of America.Clin Infect Dis. 2011; 53: e25-e76
- Clinical policy: critical issues in the evaluation and management of adult patients in the emergency department with asymptomatic elevated blood pressure.Ann Emerg Med. 2013; 62: 59-68
- Clinical policy for well-appearing infants and children younger than 2 years of age presenting to the emergency department with fever.Ann Emerg Med. 2016; 67: 625-639.e13
- Clinical policy: critical issues in the initial evaluation and management of patients presenting to the emergency department in early pregnancy.Ann Emerg Med. 2012; 60: 381-390.e28
- Clinical policy: critical issues in the evaluation and management of adult patients presenting to the emergency department with acute headache.Ann Emerg Med. 2008; 52: 407-436
- National study of barriers to timely primary care and emergency department utilization among Medicaid beneficiaries.Ann Emerg Med. 2012; 60: 4-10.e2
- Health insurance status change and emergency department use among US adults.Arch Intern Med. 2012; 172: 642-647
- Does lack of a usual source of care or health insurance increase the likelihood of an emergency department visit? results of a national population-based study.Ann Emerg Med. 2005; 45: 4-12
- Taking the mystery out of “mystery shopper” studies.N Engl J Med. 2011; 365: 484-486
- Access of Medicaid recipients to outpatient care.N Engl J Med. 1994; 330: 1426-1430
- Insurance status and access to urgent ambulatory care follow-up appointments.JAMA. 2005; 294: 1248-1254
Namrata Uberoi KF, Gee E. Health insurance coverage and the Affordable Care Act, 2010-2016. Available at: https://aspe.hhs.gov/system/files/pdf/187551/ACA2010-2016.pdf. Accessed May 22, 2017.
Connecticut Department of Social Services. DSS reports. Available at: http://www.ct.gov/dss/cwp/view.asp?a=2352&q=390776. Accessed April 22, 2017.
Kaiser Family Foundation. Total marketplace enrollment. Available at: http://kff.org/health-reform/state-indicator/total-marketplace-enrollment/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D. Updated March 15, 2017. Accessed April 22, 2017.
Vornovitsky JCBM. Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2015. Washington DC: US Census Bureau; 2016. Available at: http://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2016/demo/p60-257.pdf. Accessed January 25, 2017.
- Primary care: current problems and proposed solutions.Health Aff (Millwood). 2010; 29: 799-805
- The Impact of the Affordable Care Act on the Health Care Workforce.Heritage Foundation, Washington, DC2014 (Available at:)http://www.heritage.org/health-care-reform/report/the-impact-the-affordable-care-act-the-health-care-workforce#_ftnref2(Accessed April 22, 2017)
- Changes in primary care access between 2012 and 2016 for new patients with Medicaid and private coverage.JAMA Intern Med. 2017; 177: 588-590
- Appointment availability after increases in Medicaid payments for primary care.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 537-545
- Primary care appointment availability for new Medicaid patients increased after Medicaid expansion in Michigan.Health Aff (Millwood). 2015; 34: 1399-1406
- Secret shoppers find access to providers and network accuracy lacking for those in marketplace and commercial plans.Health Aff (Millwood). 2016; 35: 1160-1166
- A systematic review and meta-synthesis of the impact of low back pain on people's lives.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2014; 15: 50-63
- Stigma experienced by people with nonspecific chronic low back pain: a qualitative study.Pain Med. 2009; 10: 143-154
- Testing the validity of primary care physicians' self-reported acceptance of new patients by insurance status.Health Serv Res. 2016; 51: 1515-1532
Kolko J. “Normal America” is not a small town of white people. Available at: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/normal-america-is-not-a-small-town-of-white-people/. Accessed October 10, 2016.
- Greater New Haven Community Index.DataHaven, New Haven, CT2016 (Available at:)Accessed April 22, 2017)
US Census Bureau. American fact finder. Available at: https://factfinder.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. Accessed April 22, 2017.
PCare4NHV. Primary Care for New Haven. Available at: https://pcare4nhv.wordpress.com/. Accessed August 26, 2015.
Transitions Clinic. Transition Clinic Network. 2014. Available at: http://transitionsclinic.org/. Accessed November 20, 2016.
Fronstin P. Sources of health insurance and characteristics of the uninsured: analysis of the March 2013 current population survey. Available at: http://ssrn.com/abstract=2333808. Accessed August 3, 2016.
- Managing nontraumatic acute back pain.Ann Emerg Med. 2015; 66: 148-153
Kaiser Family Foundation. Market share and enrollment of largest three insurers—individual market. Available at: http://kff.org/other/state-indicator/market-share-and-enrollment-of-largest-three-insurers-individual-market/?currentTimeframe=0&sortModel=%7B%22colId%22:%22Location%22,%22sort%22:%22asc%22%7D. Accessed October 26, 2016.
Becker AL. ConnectiCare takes lead as most popular insurer on exchange. Available at: http://ctmirror.org/2015/03/26/connecticare-anthem-most-popular-health-insurers-on-exchange/. Accessed October 26, 2016.
- Access to appointments based on insurance status in Washington, DC.J Health Care Poor Underserved. 2008; 19: 687-696
- A sharper Bonferroni procedure for multiple tests of significance.Biometrika. 1988; 75: 800-802
- Adjusted P-values for simultaneous inference.Biometrics. 1992; 48: 1005-1013
Health Indicators Warehouse. Primary care providers (per 100,000). Available at: http://www.healthindicators.gov/Indicators/Primary-care-providers-per-100000_25/Profile. Accessed November 30, 2016.
- 2015 State Physician Workforce Data Book.Association of American Medical Colleges, Washington DC2015 (Available at:)Accessed May 6, 2017)
Merritt Hawkins. The physician workforce in Texas. Available at: https://www.merritthawkins.com/UploadedFiles/MerrittHawkings/Surveys/Merritt_Hawkins_NTREC_Physician_Workforce_Survey.pdf. Accessed May 1, 2017.
- Alternative strategies to inpatient hospitalization for acute medical conditions: a systematic review.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 1693-1702
- Critical pathways for post-emergency outpatient diagnosis and treatment: tools to improve the value of emergency care.Acad Emerg Med. 2011; 18: e52-e63
- Department of Social Services Annual Report: State Fiscal Year 2015.Connecticut Department of Social Services, Hartford, CT2015 (Available at:)Accessed August 3, 2016)
- Access to primary care appointments following 2014 insurance expansions.Ann Fam Med. 2017; 15: 107-112
- The role of stigma in access to health care for the poor.Milbank Q. 2014; 92: 289-318
- Reports of insurance-based discrimination in health care and its association with access to care.Am J Public Health. 2015; 105: S517-S525
- The stigma of public programs: does a separate S-CHIP program reduce it?.J Policy Anal Manage. 2007; 26: 775-789
- Do reimbursement delays discourage Medicaid participation by physicians?.Health Aff (Millwood). 2009; 28: w17-w28
Medical Group Management Association. MGMA ACA exchange implementation survey report: May 2014. Available at: http://www.mgma.com/government-affairs/advocacy/learn/2014/aca-exchange-implementation-report/aca-surveyreport_online_2?ext=.pdf. Accessed August 4, 2016.
- Health care coverage under the Affordable Care Act—a progress report.N Engl J Med. 2014; 371: 275-281
Cox C, Claxton G, Levitt L, et al. Analysis of 2017 premium changes and insurer participation in the Affordable Care Act’s health insurance marketplaces. Available at: http://kff.org/health-reform/issue-brief/analysis-of-2017-premium-changes-and-insurer-participation-in-the-affordable-care-acts-health-insurance-marketplaces/. Accessed October 7, 2016.
- Diagnosis and treatment of low back pain: a joint clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians and the American Pain Society.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: 478-491
- The growing role of emergency departments in hospital admissions.N Engl J Med. 2012; 367: 391-393
- “Patients who can't get an appointment go to the ER”: access to specialty care for publicly insured children.Ann Emerg Med. 2013; 61: 394-403
Please see page 488 for the Editor’s Capsule Summary of this article.
Supervising editor: Brendan G. Carr, MD, MS
Author contributions: S-CC and AKV conceived the study and secured funding. S-CC, SLB, and AKV designed the study. S-CC, JS, and VP supervised data collection and monitored data quality. YD provided statistical advice on study design and final analysis of data. S-CC drafted the article and all authors contributed substantially to its revision. S-CC takes responsibility for the paper as a whole.
All authors attest to meeting the four ICMJE.org authorship criteria: (1) Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND (2) Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND (3) Final approval of the version to be published; AND (4) Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Funding and support: By Annals policy, all authors are required to disclose any and all commercial, financial, and other relationships in any way related to the subject of this article as per ICMJE conflict of interest guidelines (see www.icmje.org). The authors have stated that no such relationships exist. Funded by the Emergency Medicine Foundation/Emergency Medicine Resident’s Association Resident Research Grant.
Readers: click on the link to go directly to a survey in which you can provide feedback to Annals on this particular article.