McCusker J, Vu TTM, Veillette N, et al. Elder-friendly emergency department: development and validation of an assessment tool. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1111/jgs.15137.
- Transforming emergency care for older adults.Health Aff (Millwood). 2013; 32: 2116-2121
- Bending the curve of health trajectories for older adults discharged from the emergency department.Ann Emerg Med. 2017; 69: 434-436
- Optimal older adult emergency care: introducing multidisciplinary geriatric emergency department guidelines from the American College of Emergency Physicians, American Geriatrics Society, Emergency Nurses Association, and Society for Academic Emergency Medicine.Ann Emerg Med. 2014; 63: e1-e3
- Emergency department visits without hospitalization are associated with functional decline in older persons.Ann Emerg Med. 2017; 69: 426-433
- Changes in emergency department geriatric services in Quebec and correlates of these changes.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2017; 65: 1448-1454
- Validating a model of patient satisfaction with emergency care.Ann Emerg Med. 2001; 38: 527-532
- Determinants of patient satisfaction and willingness to return with emergency care.Ann Emerg Med. 2000; 35: 426-434
- Benchmarking and quality improvement: the Harvard Emergency Department Quality study.Am J Med. 1999; 107: 437-449
- Development and validation of the Health Care Satisfaction Questionnaire (HCSQ) in elders.J Nurs Meas. 2006; 14: 190-204
- Patients' perceptions of quality of care at an emergency department and identification of areas for quality improvement.J Clin Nurs. 2006; 15: 1045-1056
- Toward patient-centered care: a systematic review of older adults' views of quality emergency care.Ann Emerg Med. 2014; 63: 529-550.e1
- The Picker Patient Experience Questionnaire: development and validation using data from in-patient surveys in five countries.Int J Qual Health Care. 2002; 14: 353-358
- Identification of seniors at risk: process evaluation of a screening and referral program for patients aged 75 and over in a community hospital emergency department.Int J Health Care Qual Assur. 2004; 17: 339-348
- Revisions to the Canadian Emergency Department Triage and Acuity Scale (CTAS) guidelines.CJEM. 2014; 16: 485-489
- Multiple Correspondence Analysis: Quantitative Applications in the Social Sciences.Sage Publications, Thousand Oaks, CA2010
- Correspondence Analysis Handbook: Statistics, Textbooks and Monographs.Marcel Dekker, New York, NY1992
- An Introduction to Psychological Tests and Scales.Taylor & Francis, New York, NY2001
- Applied Longitudinal Analysis.John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ2004
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.2nd ed. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Hillsdale, NJ1988
- Effect sizes in nested designs.in: Cooper H. Hedges L.V. Valentine J.C. The Handbook of Research Synthesis and Meta-analysis. Russell Sage Foundation, New York, NY2009: 337-356
- Applied Logistic Regression.3rd ed. John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY2013
- Estimating the dimension of a model.Ann Stat. 1978; 6: 461-464
- Brant Test for the Proportional Odds Assumption in Ordered Logistic Regression, SPost Commands for Stata.Stata Press, College Station, TX2010
- Predicting 30-day readmissions with preadmission electronic health record data.Med Care. 2015; 53: 283-289
- Discharge planning quality from the carer perspective.Qual Life Res. 2000; 9: 1005-1013
- Measuring patient-centered communication in patient-physician consultation: theoretical and practical issues.Soc Sci Med. 2005; 61: 1517-1528
- Safety of discharge of seniors from the emergency department to the community.Healthc Q. 2009; 12: 24-32
- Implementing patient-oriented discharge summaries (PODS): a multisite pilot across early adopter hospitals.Healthc Q. 2016; 19: 42-48
- Effects of actual waiting time, perceived waiting time, information delivery, and expressive quality on patient satisfaction in the emergency department.Ann Emerg Med. 1996; 28: 657-665
- Emergency department patient satisfaction: examining the role of acuity.Acad Emerg Med. 2004; 11: 162-168
- The disconfirmation paradigm: throughput times and emergency department patient satisfaction.J Emerg Med. 2007; 32: 7-13
- Anxiety as a factor influencing satisfaction with emergency department care: perspectives of accompanying persons.J Clin Nurs. 2009; 18: 3489-3497
- Development and validation of an instrument measuring individual empowerment in relation to personal health care: the Health Care Empowerment Questionnaire (HCEQ).Am J Health Promot. 2006; 20: 429-435
Please see page 756 for the Editor’s Capsule Summary of this article.
Supervising editor: Timothy Platts-Mills, MD, MSc
Author contributions: JM, SC, FD, AV, TTMV, NV, and AC conceived and designed the study, and obtained research funding. JM and DC-S supervised the conduct of the study and data collection. SB, P-AL, and RM facilitated research ethics approval and patient recruitment at the participating institutions. AC and EB provided statistical advice on study design and analyzed the data. JM drafted the article, and all authors contributed substantially to its revision. JM takes responsibility for the paper as a whole.
All authors attest to meeting the four ICMJE.org authorship criteria: (1) Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND (2) Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND (3) Final approval of the version to be published; AND (4) Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Funding and support: By Annals policy, all authors are required to disclose any and all commercial, financial, and other relationships in any way related to the subject of this article as per ICMJE conflict of interest guidelines (see www.icmje.org). This study was supported by a grant from the Quebec Research Fund–Health (no. 25234) .
Readers: click on the link to go directly to a survey in which you can provide feedback to Annals on this particular article.