- The first national institutes of health institutional training program in emergency care research: productivity and outcomes.Ann Emerg Med. 2018; 72: 679-690
National Institutes of Health. National Institutes of Health individual mentored career development awards program. Available at: https://grants.nih.gov/training/K_awards_evaluation_finalReport_20110901.pdf. Accessed October 7, 2018.
National Institute of Health. NIH Reporter. Available at: https://projectreporter.nih.gov/. Accessed October 7, 2018.
- Career development of physician scientists: a survey of leaders in academic medicine.Am J Med. 2011; 124: 779-787
- The role of emergency medicine in the future of American medical care.Ann Emerg Med. 1995; 25: 230-233
- Status report: development of emergency medicine research since the Macy report.Ann Emerg Med. 2003; 42: 66-80
- Emergency Care for Children: Growing Pains.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2006
- Emergency Medical Services: At the Crossroads.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2006
- Hospital-Based Emergency Care: At the Breaking Point.National Academies Press, Washington, DC2006
- The Zerhouni challenge: defining the fundamental hypothesis of emergency care research.Ann Emerg Med. 2007; 49: 696-697
- Summary of NIH medical-surgical emergency research roundtable held on April 30 to May 1, 2009.Ann Emerg Med. 2010; 56: 522-537
- NIH roundtable on emergency trauma research.Ann Emerg Med. 2010; 56: 538-550
- NIH roundtable on opportunities to advance research on neurologic and psychiatric emergencies.Ann Emerg Med. 2010; 56: 551-564
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute. NHLBI research career development programs in emergency medicine research (K12). Available at: https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/rfa-files/RFA-HL-11-011.html. Accessed October 6, 2018.
National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. Trans NIH K12 Program in Emergency Care Research. Available at: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/node/83168. Accessed October 6, 2018.
- Social media and physician learning.Ann Emerg Med. 2013; 62: A11-A13
- Evidence-based medicine in the era of social media: scholarly engagement through participation and online interaction.CJEM. 2018; 20: 3-8
- CJEM and the changing landscape of medical education and knowledge translation.CJEM. 2015; 17: 184-187
Howard Hughes Medical Institute. Medical research fellows program. Available at: https://www.hhmi.org/developing-scientists/medical-research-fellows-program. Accessed October 8, 2018.
Sarnoff Cardiovascular Research Foundation. Fellowship information. Available at: https://www.sarnofffoundation.org/page/Fellowship_Info. Accessed October 8, 2018.
Association of American Medical Colleges. MD-PhD program graduates: current workplaces, research effort, and types of research they do. Available at: https://www.aamc.org/download/488732/data/april2018md-phdprogramgraduatescurrentworkplacesresearchefforta.pdf. Accessed October 8, 2018.
American College of Surgeons. ACS/SVS Foundation/NIH research career development award. Available at: https://www.facs.org/member-services/scholarships/research/acssvs. Accessed October 8, 2018.
National Institute of Health. NIH RePORTER. Available at: https://projectreporter.nih.gov/reporter.cfm. Accessed October 7, 2018.
Blue Ridge Institute for Medical Research. Ranking Tables of NIH Funding to US Medical Schools in 2006-2017 as compiled by Robert Jr. Available at: http://www.brimr.org/NIH_Awards/NIH_Awards.htm. Accessed October 7, 2018.
Association of American Medical Colleges. U.S. Medical School Faculty, 2016. Available at: https://www.aamc.org/data/facultyroster/reports/475478/usmsf16.html. Accessed October 10, 2018.
Supervising editor: Peter C. Wyer, MD
Authorship: All authors attest to meeting the four ICMJE.org authorship criteria: (1) Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND (2) Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND (3) Final approval of the version to be published; AND (4) Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Funding and support: By Annals policy, all authors are required to disclose any and all commercial, financial, and other relationships in any way related to the subject of this article as per ICMJE conflict of interest guidelines (see www.icmje.org). The authors have stated that no such relationships exist.