One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Clinical policy: use of intravenous tissue plasminogen activator for the management of acute ischemic stroke in the emergency department.Ann Emerg Med. 2015; 66: 322-333
- Clinical policy: critical issues in the evaluation of adult patients presenting to the emergency department with acute blunt abdominal trauma.Ann Emerg Med. 2011; 57: 387-404
- Clinical policy: critical issues in the evaluation and management of adult patients presenting to the emergency department with seizures.Emerg Med. 2014; 63: 437-447
- Clinical policy: neuroimaging and decisionmaking in adult mild traumatic brain injury in the acute setting.J Emerg Nurs. 2009; 35: e5-e40
- Sifting the evidence—what’s wrong with significance tests? another comment on the role of statistical methods.BMJ. 2001; 322: 226-231
- The fallacy of the null-hypothesis significance test.Psychol Bull. 1960; 57: 416-428
- P-values and confidence intervals: two sides of the same unsatisfactory coin.J Clin Epidemiol. 1998; 51: 355-360
- Significance questing.Ann Intern Med. 1986; 105: 445-447
- Seduced by a P-value.Anaesth Intensive Care. 2014; 42: 551-554
- The proposal to lower P value thresholds to .005.JAMA. 2018; 319: 1429-1430
- The statistical significance of randomized controlled trial results is frequently fragile: a case for a fragility index.J Clin Epidemiol. 2014; 67: 622-628
- Standard cardiopulmonary resuscitation versus active compression-decompression cardiopulmonary resuscitation with augmentation of negative intrathoracic pressure for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest: a randomised trial.Lancet. 2011; 377: 301-311
- Does sample size matter when interpreting the fragility index?.Crit Care Med. 2016; 44: e1142-e1143
- Postdischarge secobarbital after ED migraine treatment decreases pain and improves resolution.Am J Emerg Med. 2011; 29: 86-90
- Real-time ultrasonographically-guided internal jugular vein catheterization in the emergency department increases success rates and reduces complications: a randomized, prospective study.Ann Emerg Med. 2006; 48: 540-547
US Department of Health and Human Services. Protection of human subjects. Available at: https://www.hhs.gov/ohrp/sites/default/files/ohrp/humansubjects/regbook2013.pdf.pdf. Accessed October 2, 2017.
- GRADE guidelines: 2. Framing the question and deciding on important outcomes.J Clin Epidemiol. 2011; 64: 395-400
- Statistical notes for clinical researchers: chi-squared test and Fisher’s exact test.Restor Dent Endod. 2017; 42: 152-155
- Tropisetron versus metoclopramide for the treatment of nausea and vomiting in the emergency department: a randomized, double-blinded, clinical trial.Emerg Med Australas. 2011; 23: 554-561
- A randomized trial of icatibant in ACE-inhibitor-induced angioedema.N Engl J Med. 2015; 372: 418-425
- Wait-and-see prescription for the treatment of acute otitis media: a randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2006; 296: 1235-1241
- Randomized clinical trial of an emergency department observation syncope protocol versus routine inpatient admission.Ann Emerg Med. 2014; 64: 167-175
- The unit fragility index: an additional appraisal of “statistical significance” for a contrast of two proportions.J Clin Epidemiol. 1990; 43: 201-209
- Statistical significance and fragility criteria for assessing a difference of two proportions.J Clin Epidemiol. 1991; 44: 1373-1378
- The fragility index in a cohort of pediatric randomized controlled trials.J Clin Med Res. 2017; 6: 79
- The fragility index in multicenter randomized controlled critical care trials.Crit Care Med. 2016; 44: 1278-1284
- The fragility of significant results underscores the need of larger randomized controlled trials in nephrology.Kidney Int. 2017; 92: 1469-1475
- The fragility of statistically significant findings from randomized trials in spine surgery: a systematic survey.Spine J. 2015; 15: 2188-2197
- How fragile are clinical trial outcomes that support the CHEST clinical practice guidelines for venous thromboembolism?.Chest. 2018; 154: 512-520
- Unbreakable? an analysis of the fragility of randomized trials that support diabetes treatment guidelines.Diabetes Res Clin Pract. 2017; 134: 91-105
- How robust are clinical trials in heart failure?.Eur Heart J. 2017; 38: 338-345
- Emergency Medicine Resident Association International Emergency Medicine Literature Review Group. International emergency medicine: a review of the literature from 2007.Acad Emerg Med. 2008; 15: 860-865
- Global emergency medicine: a review of the literature from 2016.Acad Emerg Med. 2017; 24: 1150-1160
- Alternatives to P value: confidence interval and effect size.Korean J Anesthesiol. 2016; 69: 555-562
- Problems with current methods of data analysis and reporting, and suggestions for moving beyond incorrect ritual.Eur J Emerg Med. 2002; 9: 203-207
- The Bayesian new statistics: hypothesis testing, estimation, meta-analysis, and power analysis from a Bayesian perspective.Psychon Bull Rev. 2018; 25: 178-206
- Bayesian estimation supersedes the t test.J Exp Psychol Gen. 2013; 142: 573-603
- Doing Bayesian Data Analysis: A Tutorial With R, JAGS, and Stan.Academic Press, Cambridge, MA2015
Please see page 566 for the Editor’s Capsule Summary of this article.
Supervising editor: David L. Schriger, MD, MPH. Specific detailed information about possible conflict of interest for individual editors is available at https://www.annemergmed.com/editors.
Author contributions: MV conceived the study, organized the research team, supervised data analysis, and provided statistical advice. JB performed the search queries and extracted the data. MV independently verified a randomly selected proportion of the data. JB and AL performed an independent initial screening of abstracts. JB and CC performed an independent full-text review of articles retained from the initial screening. JB, AL, and CC analyzed the data. JB and MV drafted the article. All authors contributed to an internal review of the final article. JB takes responsibility for the paper as a whole.
All authors attest to meeting the four ICMJE.org authorship criteria: (1) Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND (2) Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND (3) Final approval of the version to be published; AND (4) Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Funding and support: By Annals policy, all authors are required to disclose any and all commercial, financial, and other relationships in any way related to the subject of this article as per ICMJE conflict of interest guidelines (see www.icmje.org). The authors have stated that no such relationships exist.
Readers: click on the link to go directly to a survey in which you can provide feedback to Annals on this particular article.