- Quick facts.(Available at:)https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/PST045216Date accessed: October 9, 2018
Colby SL, Ortman JM. Current Population Reports: Projections of the Size and Composition of the US Population: 2014 to 2060. Available at: https://www.census.gov/content/dam/Census/library/publications/2015/demo/p25-1143.pdf. Accessed March 12, 2019.
- 10 Demographic trends that are shaping the US and the world. Pew Research Center.(Available at:)http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2016/03/31/10-demographic-trends-that-are-shaping-the-u-s-and-the-world/Date accessed: June 4, 2017
- Diversity in academic medicine no. 1 case for minority faculty development today.Mt Sinai J Med. 2008; 75: 491-498
- Under-represented minorities in emergency medicine.J Emerg Med. 2013; 45: 100-104
- Underrepresented in medicine definition.(Available at:)https://www.aamc.org/initiatives/urm/Date accessed: April 29, 2017
- Diversity in the physician workforce: facts & figures 2014.(Available at:)http://www.aamcdiversityfactsandfigures.org/Date accessed: October 10, 2018
- Patient-provider and patient-staff racial concordance and perceptions of mistreatment in the health care setting.J Gen Intern Med. 2007; 22: 1184-1189
- Racial and ethnic disparities in the clinical practice of medicine.Acad Emerg Med. 2003; 10: 1184-1188
- Diversity in emergency medicine—a model program.Acad Emerg Med. 2001; 8: 192-195
House H. Emergency medicine remains popular specialty in resident match program. 2016. Available at: https://www.acepnow.com/article/emergency-medicine-remains-popular-specialty-resident-match-program. Accessed March 12, 2019.
- American Board of Emergency Medicine report on residency and fellowship training information (2016-2017).Ann Emerg Med. 2017; 69: 640-652
- Increasing resident diversity in an emergency medicine residency program: a pilot intervention with three principal strategies.Acad Med. 2016; 91: 958-961
- Promoting diversity in emergency medicine: summary recommendations from the 2008 Council of Emergency Medicine Residency Directors (CORD) Academic Assembly Diversity Workgroup.Acad Emerg Med. 2009; 16: 450-453
- The impact of the 2008 Council of Emergency Residency Directors (CORD) Panel on Emergency Medicine Resident Diversity.J Emerg Med. 2016; 51: 576-583
- Holistic review—shaping the medical profession one applicant at a time.N Engl J Med. 2013; 368: 1565-1567
- Holistic review in medical school admissions and selection: a strategic, mission-driven response to shifting societal needs.Acad Med. 2016; 91: 1472-1474
- A plea to reassess the role of United States Medical Licensing Examination Step 1 scores in residency selection.Acad Med. 2016; 91: 12-15
Association of American Medical Colleges. AAMC Holistic Review Project: Achieving Improved Learning and Workforce Outcomes through Admissions. Association of American Medical Colleges. Available at: https://www.aamc.org/download/358700/data/hrp2-pager.pdf. Accessed March 12, 2019.
- How leaky is the health career pipeline? minority student achievement in college gateway courses.Acad Med. 2009; 84: 797-802
- Attrition rates of underrepresented minority students at the University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine, 1993-1997.Acad Med. 1998; 73: 336-338
- Graduate medical education, 2006-2007.JAMA. 2007; 298: 1081-1096
- Graduate medical education, 2007-2008.JAMA. 2008; 300: 1228-1243
- Graduate medical education, 2008-2009.JAMA. 2009; 302: 1257-1372
- Graduate medical education, 2009-2010.JAMA. 2010; 304: 1255-1270
- Graduate medical education, 2010-2011.JAMA. 2011; 306: 1015-1030
- Graduate medical education, 2011-2012.JAMA. 2012; 308: 2264-2279
- Graduate medical education, 2012-2013.JAMA. 2013; 310: 2328-2346
- Graduate medical education, 2013-2014.JAMA. 2014; 312: 2427-2445
- Graduate medical education, 2014-2015.JAMA. 2015; 314: 2436-2454
- Graduate medical education, 2015-2016.JAMA. 2016; 316: 2291-2310
- Graduate medical education, 2016-2017.JAMA. 2017; 318: 2368-2387
- 2016-2017 Annual report.(Available at:)http://www.abem.org/public/docs/default-source/publications/2016-2017-annual-report.pdf?sfvrsn=4Date accessed: June 22, 2018
- Understanding concordance in patient-physician relationships: personal and ethnic dimensions of shared identity.Ann Fam Med. 2008; 6: 198-205
- The predictors of patient-physician race and ethnic concordance: a medical facility fixed-effects approach.Health Serv Res. 2010; 45: 792-805
- Diversity in emergency medicine education: expanding the horizon.Acad Emerg Med. 2011; 18: S104-S109
- Poverty simulation: an experiential learning tool for teaching social determinants of health.AEM Educ Train. 2017; 2: 51-54
- The significance of recruiting underrepresented minorities in medicine: an examination of the need for effective approaches used in admissions by higher education institutions.Med Educ Online. 2014; 19: 24891
Association of American Medical Colleges. Altering the course, black males in medicine. Available at: https://members.aamc.org/eweb/upload/Altering%20the%20Course%20-%20Black%20Males%20in%20Medicine%20AAMC.pdf. Accessed June 21, 2018.
- Mentoring in Medicine and Science, Inc.(Available at:)http://www.mimscience.orgDate accessed: June 7, 2017
- The value of diversity in academic emergency medicine.Acad Emerg Med. 2000; 7: 1027-1031
- Disparity in human resources: addressing the lack of diversity in the health professions.Health Aff (Millwood). 2008; 27: 413-422
- Identifying and promoting best practices in residency application and selection in a complex academic health network.Acad Med. 2015; 90: 1594-1601
Please see page 640 for the Editor’s Capsule Summary of this article.
Supervising editor: Megan L. Ranney, MD, MPH. Specific detailed information about possible conflict of interest for individual editors is available at https://www.annemergmed.com/editors.
Authorship: All authors attest to meeting the four ICMJE.org authorship criteria: (1) Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND (2) Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND (3) Final approval of the version to be published; AND (4) Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Funding and support: By Annals policy, all authors are required to disclose any and all commercial, financial, and other relationships in any way related to the subject of this article as per ICMJE conflict of interest guidelines (see www.icmje.org). The authors have stated that no such relationships exist.