One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Initial First Aid Treatment for Minor Burns.The Association, Chicago, IL2017 (Available at:)http://ameriburn.org/prevention/prevention-resources/#1493037731300-e4bd5ba9-3769Date accessed: July 29, 2019
- First Aid Clinical Practice Guidelines.British Burn Association, London, UK2018 (Available at:)https://www.britishburnassociation.org/pre-hospital-approach-to-burns-patient-management/Date accessed: July 29, 2019
- First Aid.Melbourne, Victoria, Australia: The Association, 2018 (Available at:)https://anzba.org.au/care/first-aid/Date accessed: July 29, 2019
- The optimal temperature of first aid treatment for partial thickness burn injuries.Wound Repair Regen. 2009; 16: 626-634
- The efficacy of aloe vera, tea tree oil and saliva as first aid treatment for partial thickness burn injuries.Burns. 2008; 34: 1176-1182
- How much do parents know about first aid for burns?.Burns. 2013; 39: 1083-1090
- Initial cold water treatment for burns.Northwest Med. 1936; 35: 267-270
- Ice water as primary treatment of burns: simple method of emergency treatment of burns to alleviate pain, reduce sequelae, and hasten healing.JAMA. 1960; 173: 1916-1919
- Observations and experiments on the immediate cold-water treatment for burns and scalds.Br J Plast Surg. 1959; 12: 104-119
- Optimal duration of cooling for an acute scald contact burn injury in a porcine model.J Burn Care Res. 2008; 29: 828-834
- Assessment of cooling on an acute scald burn injury in a porcine model.J Burn Care Res. 2007; 28: 514-520
- The optimal duration and delay of first aid treatment for deep partial thickness burn injuries.Burns. 2009; 36: 673-679
- European Practice Guidelines for Burn Care.4th ed. The Association, Barcelona, Spain2017: 119-120
- Burns treatment for children and adults: a study of initial burns first aid and hospital care.N Z Med J. 2002; 115: U199
- A seven-year epidemiology study of 12,381 admitted burn patients in Taiwan—using the Internet registration system of the Childhood Burn Foundation.Burns. 2005; 31: S12-S17
- The importance of immediate cooling—a case series of childhood burns in Vietnam.Burns. 2002; 28: 173-176
- An audit of first-aid treatment of pediatric burns patients and their clinical outcome.J Burn Care Res. 2009; 30: 1028-1034
- Water first aid is beneficial in humans post-burn: evidence from a bi-national cohort study.PLoS One. 2016; 11e0147259
- First aid improves clinical outcomes in burn injuries: evidence from a cohort study of 4918 patients.Burns. 2018; 45: 433-439
- Developmental and behavioural associations of burns and scalds in children: a prospective population-based study.Arch Dis Child. 2017; 102: 428-483
- Management of pediatric burns.J Craniofac Surg. 2003; 14: 713-718
- Special considerations in the management of pediatric upper extremity and hand burns.J Craniofac Surg. 2008; 19: 933-941
- Infant skin microstructure assessed in vivo differs from adult skin in organization and at the cellular level.Pediatr Dermatol. 2009; 27: 125-131
- Barriers to adequate first aid for paediatric burns at the scene of the injury.Health Promot J Austr. 2018; 29: 160-166
- Socioeconomic status and outcomes after burn injury.J Burn Care Res. 2015; 37: e56-e62
- The Index of Relative Socio-Economic Advantage and Disadvantage.Australian Bureau of Statistics, Canberra, Australia2013 (Available at:)http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/allprimarymainfeatures/8C5F5BB699A0921CCA258259000BA619?opendocumentDate accessed: July 29, 2019
- Standards and quality in burn treatment.Burns. 2001; 27: 791-792
- The estimation of areas of burns.Surg Gynecol Obstet. 1944; 79: 352-358
- Evidence for the link between healing time and the development of hypertrophic scars (HTS) in paediatric burns due to scald injury.Burns. 2006; 32: 992-999
- Comparison of logistic regression versus propensity score when the number of events is low and there are multiple confounders.Am J Epidemiol. 2003; 158: 280-287
- First-aid management of minor burns in children: a prospective study of children presenting to the Children's Hospital at Westmead, Sydney.Med J Aust. 2002; 178: 31-33
- A prospective study of time to healing and hypertrophic scarring in paediatric burns: every day counts.Burns Trauma. 2017; 5: e1-e6
- First Aid for Someone Who Has a Burn.Red Cross, London, UK2018 (Available at:)https://www.redcross.org.uk/first-aid/learn-first-aid/burnsDate accessed: July 29, 2019
- Burns and Scalds.St John Ambulance, London, UK2018 (Available at:)http://www.sja.org.uk/sja/first-aid-advice/hot-and-cold-conditions/burns-and-scalds.aspxDate accessed: July 29, 2019
- The diagnosis of the depth of burning.Br J Surg. 1953; 40: 588-596
- Cooling of burns: mechanisms and models.Burns. 2015; 41: 882-889
- A review of first aid treatments for burn injuries.Burns. 2009; 35: 768-775
Please see page 76 for the Editor’s Capsule Summary of this article.
Supervising editor: Jocelyn Gravel, MD. Specific detailed information about possible conflict of interest for individual editors is available at https://www.annemergmed.com/editors.
Author contributions: BG was responsible for the study. All authors conceived and designed the study and conducted all analyses. CF drafted the article and and all authors contributed substantially to the various revisions. BG takes responsibility for the study as a whole.
All authors attest to meeting the four ICMJE.org authorship criteria: (1) Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND (2) Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND (3) Final approval of the version to be published; AND (4) Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Funding and support: By Annals policy, all authors are required to disclose any and all commercial, financial, and other relationships in any way related to the subject of this article as per ICMJE conflict of interest guidelines (see www.icmje.org). The authors have stated that no such relationships exist.
Readers: click on the link to go directly to a survey in which you can provide feedback to Annals on this particular article.