Prime Minister's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 25 March 2020. Vol 2020.
Goals of This Investigation
Materials and Methods
Study Design and Setting
Introduction: Caring for our community's health. Vol 2020.
- Controlling Officer
Selection of Participants
Characteristics of Study Subjects
Comparison of mortality between 2019 and 2020
Comparison of ED visits between 2019 and 2020
Excess deaths certified in the EDs between 2019 and 2020
Odds ratios for 28-day (ED and hospital deaths) mortality between 2019 and 2020
The Fall in ED Visits as a Response in a Public Health Emergency
The Impact of Reduction of ED Visits on Mortality
- Supplemental tables E1-E4
- Figure E1
- Figure E2
- Figure E3
- Figure E4
- The Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2019; 33: 891-905
- Severe acute respiratory syndrome: historical, epidemiologic, and clinical features.Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2019; 33: 869-889
- An interactive web-based dashboard to track COVID-19 in real time.Lancet Infect Dis. 2020; 20: 533-534
- The SARS, MERS and novel coronavirus (COVID-19) epidemics, the newest and biggest global health threats: what lessons have we learned?.Int J Epidemiol. 2020; 49: 717-726
- Coronavirus Pandemic (COVID-19). Vol 2020. Our World in Data.(Accessed 1 July, 2021)
- Impact of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak on ST-segment-elevation myocardial infarction care in Hong Kong, China.Circ Cardiovasc Qual Outcomes. 2020; 13e006631
- Delayed access or provision of care in Italy resulting from fear of COVID-19.Lancet Child Adolesc Health. 2020; 4: e10-e11
- Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on an emergency traumatology service: experience at a tertiary trauma centre in Spain.Injury. 2020; 51: 1414-1418
- Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on emergency department visits—United States, January 1, 2019-May 30, 2020.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69: 699-704
- The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on patterns of attendance at emergency departments in two large London hospitals: an observational study.BMC Health Serv Res. 2021; 21: 1008
- Trends in emergency department visits and hospital admissions in health care systems in 5 states in the first months of the COVID-19 pandemic in the US.JAMA Intern Med. 2020; 180: 1328-1333
- Prime Minister's statement on coronavirus (COVID-19): 25 March 2020. Vol 2020.(Accessed 1 July, 2021)
- Potential indirect effects of the COVID-19 pandemic on use of emergency departments for acute life-threatening conditions—United States, January-May 2020.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2020; 69: 795-800
- Patient response, treatments, and mortality for acute myocardial infarction during the COVID-19 pandemic.Eur Heart J Qual Care Clin Outcomes. 2021; 7: 238-246
- Excess neurological death in New York City after the emergence of COVID-19.J Neurol. 2021; 268: 2026-2028
- Factors associated with increased all-cause mortality during the COVID-19 pandemic in Italy.Int J Infect Dis. 2020; 98: 121-124
- COVID-19 healthcare demand and mortality in Sweden in response to non-pharmaceutical mitigation and suppression scenarios.Int J Epidemiol. 2020; 49: 1443-1453
- Risk factors for in-hospital mortality in patients with acute myocardial infarction during the COVID-19 outbreak. Article in Spanish.Rev Esp Cardiol. 2020; 73: 985-993
- Rapid estimation of excess mortality during the COVID-19 pandemic in Portugal -beyond reported deaths.J Epidemiol Glob Health. 2020; 10: 209-213
- Excess deaths from COVID-19 and other causes, March-July 2020.JAMA. 2020; 324: 1562-1564
- Community responses during early phase of COVID-19 epidemic, Hong Kong.Emerg Infect Dis. 2020; 26: 1575-1579
- Development journey of clinical data analysis and reporting system (CDARS) in hospital authority of Hong Kong.MedInfo. 2010; : 1468
- Introduction: Caring for our community's health. Vol 2020.(Accessed 1 July, 2021)
- Association between acute neuropsychiatric events and Helicobacter pylori therapy containing clarithromycin.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 828-834
- Government Secretariat: Food & Health Bureau Controlling Officer (Health Branch): Controlling Officer’s Report 2019-20.The Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, 2020 (Accessed 1 July, 2021)
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.Ann Intern Med. 2007; 147: 573-577
- Emergency medicine-quality indicators: the United Kingdom perspective.Academic Emergency Medicine, 2011: 1239-1241
- The effects of air pollution on mortality in socially deprived urban areas in Hong Kong, China.Environ Health Perspect. 2008; 116: 1189-1194
- Standardized comparisons in population research.Demography. 1964; 1: 296-315
- Underutilization of the emergency department during the COVID-19 pandemic.West J Emerg Med. 2020; 21: 15-23
- Impact of national lockdown towards emergency department visits and admission rates during the COVID-19 pandemic in Thailand: a hospital-based study.Emerg Med Australas. 2021; 33: 316-323
Hung KK, Walline JH, Chan EYY, et al. Health service utilization in Hong Kong during the COVID-19 pandemic—a cross-sectional public survey. Int J Health Policy Manag. Published online October 19, 2020. https://doi.org/10.34172/ijhpm.2020.183
- The epidemiology of COVID-19 cases and the successful containment strategy in Hong Kong–January to May 2020.Int J Infect Dis. 2020; 98: 51-58
- Delays in stroke onset to hospital arrival time during COVID-19.Stroke. 2020; 51: 2228-2231
- Risk factors for pneumonia due to beta-lactam-susceptible and beta-lactam-resistant Pseudomonas aeruginosa: a case–case–control study.Infection. 2018; 46: 487-494
Please see page 149 for the Editor’s Capsule Summary of this article.
Supervising editor: Kristin L. Rising, MD, MS. Specific detailed information about possible conflict of interest for individual editors is available at https://www.annemergmed.com/editors.
Author contributions: AW and CW contributed equally as cofirst authors. AW, JW, OC, and CW reviewed the literature, designed the statistical analysis, conducted analyses, and wrote the manuscript. AW, OC, and CW collected and compiled data. CW, JW, XX, MT, and TR provided critical input to the statistical analyses and design. AW acted as guarantor for the study. All authors contributed to the interpretation of the analysis, critically reviewed and revised the manuscript, and approved the final manuscript as submitted. AW takes responsibility for the paper as a whole.
Authorship: All authors attest to meeting the 4 ICMJE.org authorship criteria: (1) Substantial contributions to the conception or design of the work; or the acquisition, analysis, or interpretation of data for the work; AND (2) Drafting the work or revising it critically for important intellectual content; AND (3) Final approval of the version to be published; AND (4) Agreement to be accountable for all aspects of the work in ensuring that questions related to the accuracy or integrity of any part of the work are appropriately investigated and resolved.
Funding and support: By Annals policy, all authors are required to disclose any and all commercial, financial, and other relationships in any way related to the subject of this article as per ICMJE conflict of interest guidelines (see www.icmje.org). The authors have stated that no such relationships exist. The authors report this article did not receive any outside funding or support.
Readers: click on the link to go directly to a survey in which you can provide feedback to Annals on this particular article.